Monday, June 7, 2010

role models

As I paged through my new issue of Elle Magazine, I came upon an article entitled "Weight in Hollywood: Is the Trend Changing?" and became very excited. I assumed that maybe, just maybe, magazines had decided to start offering healthier role models for young girls and adults alike.

As I read the article about certain high-end designers displaying plus size models at their runway shows, I actually felt proud for them. Then I looked at the corresponding picture.

Below is one of the plus size models.


Really? I know she doesn't look like the typical runway model, cracked out and living on celery but she is not plus size. Women know clothes and sizes. That girl is a size two, if that. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm a tiny lady but I was born that way and eat and exercise normally. If you want to have skinny models then by all means- but don't put a 115 pound girl on a runway and call it plus size, because then you're just a liar.

I do believe that women should be fairly represented in magazines and that young girls shouldn't look up to women who refuse to eat in order to maintain their figure.

Below is a photo of Christie Brinkley in the 70's. Brinkley is arguably one of the most well known super models of that time and look at the curves and muscle definition. She may be trim but she looks gorgeous and healthy!


Anyways, no matter how tall or thin you are (or aren't) it's important to eat well, exercise often and maintain a shape that looks healthy, not sickly. I think as long as women follow the old rule to sweat everyday and stay away from junk, that bikini bod will come naturally.

Just relax and try to do the best for your bod!


*Photos Courtesy of Creative Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment